Are you worried that pregnancy will give you horrid-looking stretch marks? Stretch marks appear on the skin not only during pregnancy but also if you put on weight in a short time. In this article, we shall discuss in detail about stretch marks and also discuss ways to remove them.
What Are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks are long, stripes, or narrow streaks that form on the skin when the skin is suddenly stretched. These are common lines on the skin and affect more women than men. These may appear on the stomach, thighs, upper arms, lower back, breasts, and hips. It is scarring on the skin that occurs when the skin cannot get back to its normal form after intense growth. These occur more commonly during pregnancy, weight gain, weight loss, or even during puberty.
Options For Removal
These marks removal or treatment options are very reliable and are way too costly. These are only a cosmetic problem as they do not harm you in any way.
There are various lotions, gels, and creams available on the market that claim to remove stretch marks. These creams or gels are for local applications. They are suggested to be applied from the first trimester when the skin begins to stretch. These creams have extra-nourishing agents that hydrate and lubricate the skin so that it becomes more elastic and can stretch back to its original form. But there is little medical evidence to support these claims.
The treatment options are very limited. These marks often fade over time and become barely noticeable. Women who develop marks during pregnancy notice that their marks become barely noticeable after 6 to 12 months after delivery. Another option for mark removal is to use makeup to conceal the marks when that particular area of the body is exposed.
One should avoid itching the skin during pregnancy as it can make the marks more prominent. Most topical application creams, gels, or lotions contain active ingredients that may work on the lines. But none so far have successfully eliminated marks or healed them completely.
Prevention Of Stretch Marks
These cannot be prevented all the time. But to ensure that you do not get stretch marks due to certain known possibilities, you can:
- Avoid losing too much weight suddenly or gaining too much suddenly.
- Avoid crash dieting and try to maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat a diet full of vitamins and minerals. Eat foods rich in vitamin C and A so that your skin remains nourished.
- You should also eat foods with silicon and zinc minerals as these keep the skin supple and elastic.
- When pregnant, watch your weight, and try not to gain too much weight suddenly.
- Drink ample water every day, such as six to eight glasses, as this keeps your body well-nourished.
- Do not itch your pregnant belly as this may worsen your marks.
These are some prevention tips for stretch marks. If you want to remove them surgically, you can consult a cosmetologist who may suggest surgery.